Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pilgrim or Indian?

They say the first Thanksgiving took place around 1621, where the Native Americans and the English settlers had one big happy feast for three days. Native Americans were most likely giving thanks more often than once a year, way before someone wrote it down. Only the people who were there knew what really went down. 

I am thankful that I am celebrating Thanksgiving in this time period and not that one. I probably would not have been a happy Native American or a Pilgrim. I don't even know which one I would have been. My heritage is so mixed up. I am everything (generally speaking). Black, White, Native American, Asian, Spanish. All I can say is that I am a product of history, but I have nothing to do with what was done. My people were enslaved, tortured, raped, and also did those horrible things to others. This is America. We've come a long way to get where we are today. I'm not trying to justify anything or say that history doesn't matter. I'm just saying that I'm thankful for being in this time and age and I don't have to deal with what they dealt with back in the day. Yes we have our own issues, but I give thanks for this melting pot we live in and my friends, family, and neighbors who can share their culture with me without feeling any type of way. I love learning about other cultures and it makes me happy that we are free to celebrate in our own ways.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Image from art.com


~daperfectmix

No comments: